Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Case for Gluttony

     So I have started to read through the book of Ezekiel and I came across a few verses that made me stop and think...
Moreover He said to me, "Son of man, eat what you find; eat this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel."  So I opened my mouth, and He caused me to eat that scroll. ~ 3:1-2
     What if God told me to eat a scroll?  Would I do it?  What would it be like?  Would His asking that surprise me and make me hesitate - What did He say?
     After my mind was through running all of its tangents I realized that He has already asked me to eat a scroll.  God has asked each of us to eat of the Bible.  Just think about it...
     When you eat something you must...
          1:  Choose what to eat (grabbing the Bible off of the shelf)
          2:  Prepare it (turn to where you want to read)
          3:  Take a bite (begin to read)
          4:  chew (think through what you are reading and reread some parts multiple times till it makes sense)
          5:  swallow (sit back and take it all in)
          6:  digest (begin to apply bits and pieces of the Word to your life)
          7:  reap the nutrients (experience the great richness of Truth in your life and see it overflow onto others)
     When we eat we encounter multiple flavors and textures, some we like and others we could live without.  For example, a piece of chocolate cake tastes much better to me than potato salad (which makes me gag).    But just because we don't like the taste of something doesn't mean that our bodies don't reap the nutrients from that food anyway.  Occasionally we will read something in the Word that isn't easy to swallow or that we wished tasted a bit better, but we still reap the benefit of it in the long run.
And He said to me, "Son of man, feed your belly, and fill your stomach with this scroll that I give you."  So I ate, and it was in my mouth like honey in sweetness.  Then He said to me:  "Son of man, go to the house of Israel and speak with My words to them." ~ 3:3-4
     After we eat of the Word and reap the nutrients of its sweetness we are supposed to share with others what we have eaten.  So I would say, in this case, being a glutton has it's advantages!

No comments:

Post a Comment