Friday, August 20, 2010

When Clouds Encroach


As I was sitting out on our neighbor's dock, this morning doing my quiet time, I couldn't help but sit back and admire the sky.  God not only creates for us so many amazing colors and beauty in the sky but also an ever changing 'sky'scape of clouds.  This morning was no different, expect for the fact that as I was admiring His creation I noticed some massive thunder heads moving towards the sunrise that I was watching.  After a few more minutes all I noticed was the dark gray, massive and looming clouds.  Then, just as if the sky had opened up and poured down it's water, God opened my eye's to see a parallel in our lives.

How often do we find ourselves sitting back and admiring the beauty of life?  I do it occasionally, but definitely not enough.  I get too distracted by the gray clouds that surround it.  At first it is just a glance, but then after a while it seems to be all I can see.  The things in our lives that seem to be dreary, overcast and looming capture our attention and keep us from focusing on the beauty that is just behind those clouds.  

As I sat on the dock a bit longer I noticed that the lower, gloomy, clouds were moving much fast than the white clouds at a higher altitude.   Between the breaks I could still see the beautiful pinks, purples and blues of the sunrise.  All I had to do was refocus my eyes to see what was still there behind the dingy clouds.

Likewise, when we find ourselves focusing on the negative and depressing things of this world, all we really need to do is refocus our vision to push past the dismal and instead concentrate on the splendor that never truly goes away.  God's glory and blessing is always there, it just may not be in the forefront of our vision.  

As I tried to focus on the sunrise, it soon became too hard to see it.  The storm clouds had completely covered the entire sky, I could see nothing but gray.

Even though we try to see the good, sometimes it is just too hard to see God's glory.  We find ourselves completely overcome and surrounded by the problems, trials and cares of this world.

As soon as I walked inside, the sky opened up and with a blinding streak of lightning and a boisterous clap of thunder the downpour began.

When we face those days of gloom and overcast in our lives sometimes it feels like we are caught in a storm that is never ending, with no hope of seeing the sun again.  But it is in those times when we can take hope and reassurance that we will see the Son and that He never leaves us unprotected during those storms.  Just as my house provided protection from the storm for me, God will always provide a form of protection and reassurance for us, we just have to make the decision to get out of the storm and take refuge.  

As I sat in my kitchen watching the rain pour down from those dismal clouds, I began to see how beneficial it was.  Even though it caused me to come inside, off the dock, the grass desperately needed the water, as did the flowers and the farming vegetation in the area.

As much as we despise when we get caught in the storms of life, we can't help but see their benefit when they are over.  We may experience pain, fear, loneliness, and even depression during those storms, but when the sky begins to clear we realize how much we have grown, just as the grass has.  

It seemed like just as quickly as the rain started it stopped.  The clouds changed back to white, the sky was blue, the birds were singing , and the beautiful colors of God's promise to us were again on display.

We may not always like or appreciate the storms of life, but in reality the storm is only temporary and the beauty and glory of God is always on display just above the gloom.  He never leaves us, even when we can't see Him.  So if you are finding yourself surrounded by those gray clouds, know that by refocusing your eyes and remembering the hope and assurance that God provides, the rainbow is never far away!!!


Psalm 77
The Storm
I cry aloud to God, aloud to God, and he will hear me.  In the day of my trouble I seek the Lord; in the night my hand is stretched out without wearying; my soul refuses to be comforted.  When I remember God, I moan; when I meditate, my spirit faints. - Selah 
You hold my eyelids open; I am so troubled that I cannot speak.  I consider the days of old, the years long ago.  I said, "Let me remember my song in the night; let me mediate in my heart."  Then my spirit made a diligent search:  "Will the Lord spurn forever, and never again be favorable?  Are his promises at an end for all time?  Has God forgotten to be gracious?  Has he in anger shut up his compassion? - Selah 
Refocusing on Him
Then I said, "I will appeal to this, to the years of the right hand of the Most High."  I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will remember your wonders of old.  I will ponder all your work, and mediate on your mighty deeds.  Your way, O God, is holy. What god is great like our God?  You are the God who works wonders; you have made known your might among the peoples.  You with your arm redeemed your people, the children of Jacob and Joseph.- Selah
God's hope, provision and assurance
When the waters saw you, O God, when the waters saw you, they were afraid; indeed, the deep trembled. The clouds poured out water; the skies gave forth thunder; your arrows flashed on every side.  The crash of your thunder was in the whirlwind; your lightings lighted up the world; the earth trembled and shook.  Your way was through the sea, your path through the great waters; yet your footprints were unseen.  You led your people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

No comments:

Post a Comment